Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Cheers!

Welcome to Thirsty Thursdays, a blog by Zeke, Nichole, and Will that will document our enjoyment of wine and each others company. We named the blog "Thirsty Thursdays" because it's a night the three of us usually have off and in the last month we've started getting together at our home (in Cypress, Texas--a suburb of Houston) and drinking wine. We really enjoy the heck out of it and it's been fun to try all kinds of new bottles. Our goal in getting together and drinking all sorts of wine (apart from having a great time!) is to explore different varietals and geographies.

About Zeke: My love affair with wine began in earnest in the winter of 2008, just before Christmas. That year, for Christmas, Nichole got me "Windows on the World" and a bottle of A to Z Pinot Noir and Erath Pinot Noir--two Pinots from Oregon I had been dying to try. They were both awesome and I quickly read "Windows..." in it's entirety. I have not attended any formal wine trainings, but have learned a lot by reading, asking questions of those who know considerably more than I do, and...TASTING! I'm big on red wine, but have recently realized that more often than not, white wines consistently knock my socks off in terms of flavor and expression. So far, my absolute favorite wine is Argyle's 1998 Extended Tirage Brut.

About Nichole: First and foremost, I am a cheese nerd. I have worked with cheese for three years and have engorged my brain and my palate (I have also marked my body). Prior, I worked in the restaurant industry for 10 years. I consider myself a foodie of the southern persuasion, meaning I will batter and deep fry anything! I once worked in a restaurant that deep fried twinkies for the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. You know you're jealous! Wine has always interested me and has only recently become an affordable endeavor. The best way for me to learn about any part of what I sell is to taste and enjoy with those I love! My favorite wine varietals are Pinot Noir, Grenache, and Malbec, but I will try anything. I promise! Thus far, my favorite wine producing parts of the world are Argentina, Washington, and Oregon.

About Will: Me and wine took a long walk on the beach just a few short months ago with a fine bottle of Hill of Gold (thank you Zeke). I didn't call until about a month ago on that fateful thursday. Now, I'm still in sensory overload and going gaga for vino. To date my favorite varietal so far is malbec, so very delicious. I recently discovered Kim Crawford's Sauvignon Blanc and (don't judge me) Vinho Verde. This might seem a little out of place for a roughneck (by trade and personality) to have distant thoughts of sommelier status, but here I am, rock you like a hurricane.

In our blog entries we will give details on the wine we drink (producer, varietal, appelation, vintage, etc.) and will also offer plenty of amateur opinions and observations, countered by sarcasm and baseless conjecture. We plan to theme our tastings based on what's in the cellar and on our personal racks.

Thanks for checking us out!

No comments:

Post a Comment